Humanistic Paganism

Category: community

“The Devil Never Did Me No Harm” by Sable Aradia

Repression is not the way of Paganism. Generally, Pagans and witches are spiritual humanists. The Horned God of the Witches embodies all of these things, and we believe in embracing these qualities, accepting them and working through them, and then learning to use them in constructive, instead of destructive ways. We do the Shadow-Work. We accept that we have a dark side, and we work with our . . . demons. Denying the Devil is not only denying our true history; it is denying part of our nature. I just don’t think that’s the witch’s way.

Read More

Musings of a Pagan Mythicist, by Maggie Jay Lee: “Circle Around: Individuality, Community and Creating Religion”

To me, collective religious ceremony and shared devotional practice is not something peripheral, but is the very center of religion. It is the core that holds everything together. I believe without such shared practices, religious community will fall apart, but there are still enormous challenges to developing religion centered on communal ceremony.

Read More

Why is community the focus of HP?

– by B. T. Newberg The focus of HP is community. Why? Though this website started as an outlet for one guy’s thoughts (mine), it soon became clear that there were many others of like mind out there.  Pretty quickly,…

Read More

Three Transcendents, part 3: Community

– by B. T. Newberg This post continues the series on transcendence in naturalism.  Part 1 introduced naturalistic transcendence, and part 2 covered nature as a source of transcendence.  Part 4 will delve into mind. On August 28th, 1963, over…

Read More