What transcends you?
2012 Thing on Thursday #1
Humans seem to have a need to be part of something greater than themselves. As a naturalist, what transcends you?
I don’t mean transcendence in the sense of something supernatural, nor something merely greater in degree than you. I mean something which goes beyond what you are, in which you may participate but which reaches toward the next level.
It’s my hope that through discussing this, we can inch toward discovering symbols that resonate with us as naturalists, and help us connect to something greater.
The transcendent-ness of some of these may not be self-evident, yet they are listed without comment to enable you to make of them what you will. Feel free to specify in more detail how you feel they transcend you (or not) in the comments.
Please choose up to three.
Please share your thoughts in the comments.
About Thing on Thursday
Each week from the Autumn Equinox until the Winter Solstice, Thing on Thursday explores a new controversy. Participation is open to all – the more minds that come together, the better. Those who have been vocal in the comments are as welcome as those quiet-but-devoted readers who have yet to venture a word. We value all constructive opinions.
There are only a few rules:
- be constructive – this is a council, so treat it as such
- be respectful – no rants or flames
Comments will be taken into consideration as we determine the new direction of Humanistic Paganism.
So please make your voice heard in the comments!
Previous Thing on Thursdays
- What kind of community shall we be?
- What are your top three most valued elements of Humanistic Paganism?
- What does naturalism mean to you?
- How does mythology function in your life?
- What does responsible action mean to you?
- What is spiritual experience like for you?
- What are our goals?
- Who are our allies?
- What should our next projects be?
- What does meditation mean to you?
- What does ritual mean to you?
- What’s been most valuable on HP?